Work at Home Forum Index Work at Home
Welcome to the Work-at-home-business.com forum/message boards page. Register below to learn more about home based business, meet experts and newcomers, and post your questions and comments.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Work at Home | Work at Home Marketing | Work at Home Directory | Submit a Site | Work at Home Blog

Make Money without Spending Money! - World's 1st 100% Free MLM!

Medical transcription
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Work at Home Forum Index -> Data Entry & Typing at Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucky_pinay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're right! But I think numbers is gonna be minimal hehe
agent_orange

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting topic.

Me, I choose accounting over medical transcription. I'm really good with numbers so it really wouldn't be a problem.

Now, back to topic, I'd like to be a medical transcriptionist because of the pay. I just don't know if I want it as a career.
lucky_pinay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe! who would want medical transciption as a career? I think that's why they outsource it because nobody wants the job
ChristineP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lucky_pinay"]hehe! who would want medical transciption as a career? I think that's why they outsource it because nobody wants the job[/quote]

Not me. I dreaded studying to be a medical transcriptionist, I guess that is why I didn't do so well. I decided to take the MT course because of the money you can make. I feel that if that is the only reason you are in medical transcription, you will be miserable. You have to really enjoy this type of thing to really learn and make it. Life is too short to have a career in something that makes you miserable.
lucky_pinay

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you but sometimes its better have a job you don't really like than go hungry...but I would choose to be a MT forever if I have no other choice
damaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="superwahm"][quote="WorkAtHomeSpace"]Medical Transcription and data entry are two different things. Most MT jobs require you to have experience/training. Two companies that I know of will hire newbies and they are [url=http://www.mountainwestprocessing.com]Mountain West Processing[/url] and [url=http://www.tigerfish.com]TigerFish[/url]. There are lot more MT jobs out there than data entry, but like I said most require experience/training.

A very informative site, [url=http://www.mtworld.com/faq.html]MT World[/url][/quote]

I value your input from reading your posts. Would MT be a worthwhile venue for someone with some extra time who needs an extra income? I appreciate the links.[/quote]

I got a certificate in MT in 2002. The problem is that around that time, the competition from India became fierce, starting pay for MT here is about .08/65 character line, but the Indian companies are bidding at .04 or .05 per 65 character line---God only knows what the transcribers are making, then. But what all that means is that the entry level work is being off-shored, you can find MT work here, but the minimum they are asking for is 2 years in a clinical setting. You have to know AAMT style guide, and at least the basic 4 reports. Some require that the years of experience be specific to a certain specialty.

Yes, Tigerfish and Mountain West do accept newbie transcriptionists, but only if you pass their tests, which includes using FTP for file transfer. But, you will be getting a position for General Transcription, without either legal, or medical transcription work experience. Still the general is not bad, and pays about 27.00/per audio hour.
damaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="agent_orange"]MT is not as easy as Data Entry. You need to have knowledge of medical terms. If you want to be be a work at home MT, you should have at least 2 years of work experience first.[/quote]

Yes, you need to have an understanding of Medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, the names of medical equipment, medical and surgical procedures, and medications, and measurements. You should also have a really good ear for language, because a good portion of your dictators will be ESL speakers...and all of them tend to mumble, lol.
damaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="busyathome"]I am interested in becoming a medical transcripionist but I don't really type fast. Sad Is it a must for an MT to have good typing skills? I have been practicing but I am still having a hard time using all my fingers while typing.[/quote]

Unfortunately, yes, if you're not comfortable typing, you will have trouble. A lot of times the reports have a really short TAT (turn-around-time). If you're not comfortable with your typing, it's going to be hard, dealing with the speed of their speech, accents if ESL speaker, mumbled words, and researching terms.
damaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="busyathome"]Finally boosted my typing skills with the Typershark game! I'm still interested in applying for any transcription job at Mountain West but there weren't hiring when I checked them out just a few minutes ago. Too bad, I really wanted to try it out.[/quote]

They're hiring like crazy now, and most of the transcriptionists are being asked if they'd like to volunteer for weekend work. You may want to try again:)
lila42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChristineP"]I was hired for Mountain West, but I didn't like the setup they had. You have to login to Yahoo Messenger or email them directly to let them know you are available for work. Then just wait on them to send something. You never know if work is available or how much. I waited one day for 3 hours and never got a response nor any work. After that I just decided I could not do that.[/quote]
Oh, I woulnd't like that at all. How could you possibly plan your life that way? How could anyone? I would't be interested in that at all.
mom2four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to get hired with any companies to do medical transcription then you must have training, is that what i am understanding? I have always wanted to do this but I never can afford the school or training to do this type of work. I would love more information please
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zenvicky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In transcription business most of the companies wants you to have some kind of MT certification or/with few years of experience in related field. In legal, business and general transcription some good experience in related field is enough. You can find some short transcription gigs on job boards like craigslist.org that you can do from your home, these are one time projects and usually general transcription projects. You can try these to break into transcription arena.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Work at Home Forum Index -> Data Entry & Typing at Home All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: